Re: xf86config

ivan valdes wrote:
i have installed woody, i think, however i cannot get a gui for either kde or gnome. i go through the config but when i try to startx it fails. i have good info on the monitor and video card, though my card is not in the data base, sis630. i understand that the server i should use is the xxfb, does the server install with the packages i installed? i
<snip>

If you can get to a console, try running the following command, it has been helpful to me in a lot of cases.
	#xf86cfg
To have this command available, you need the package called "xbase-clients".

If it works correctly (hopefully!) you will see a display come up with a weird thatched background in black-and-white which gives headache if you look at it continously : ) Then use the numpad keys to "Quit" (Lower right of windows which opens up) and it will ask you to save the file. Save it to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 . Mail the list back if you get this far and we'll see what we can do about the mouse, scroll button etc. (Assuming that I was able to help you at all!

--
Harshwardhan Nagaonkar
Electrical Engineering Sysop