Re: Howto write CDs with Lite On

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 11:40:18AM -0700, Joris Huizer wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Thank you for all the good advise & howto's - I guess
> I was silly lite-on needs special care rather than the
> "usual" setup :-)
>
> I found the cdrecord only allows the root user - why
> is that ? And, what can I do to allow normal users to
> use it?

I think it needs to lock its buffer into memory, so it can't be
swapped out, which requires root privilege. Or something along those
lines - maybe setting process priorities? Anyway, the cure is to make
it setuid root:

  (as root) chmod u+s `which cdrecord`

cdrdao needs the same treatment for the same reasons, and
cdda2wav runs faster and more reliably (in terms of not producing
corrupted recordings) if you do the same thing to it.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons