Re: Howto write CDs with Lite On

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 12:38, Joris Huizer wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Today, a fresh Lite On (48x24x48x) was built into my
> computer !
>
> Now my question is the following: I haven't done any
> setup yet, but reading of CDs is working without a
> problem.
> However, I don't know how to write on RW cds - if I
> try to mount, I get the following:
>
> ---------------
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> /dev/hdc,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>        (could this be the IDE device where you in fact
> use
>        ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
>
> ----------------
>
> The warning has some hint about scsi but I think Lite
> On was supposed to be IDE so I don't have any scsi
> functioning (the last time I tried to get that working
> I quit because it was messy)
>
> The warning is probably just about there being NO file
> system (as the cd is completely empty, right ?)
>
> What should I do to solve this & get the burning
> working?
> If I've got this working, I'll first just try to write
> a backup of my files onto a RW cd, after that I'll try
> and look at burning debian cds (!!)
>
> Thank you for any help,
>
> Joris

May I suggest a healthy dose of the CD-Writing-HOWTO

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

In a nutshell ..
As you suspected, you can't mount a blank CD because there's no
filesystem to read

Although I've heard that the newest versions of cdrecord support ATAPI,
I still use ide-scsi to keep everything happy - your drive is IDE,
cdrecord expects SCSI - ide-scsi makes this happen.

The HOWTO should iron out the juicy details :o)

HTH, Shaun