Re: [INN2] no bash redirection with getlist

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 07:16:13PM +0200, Jens Kubieziel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if I want to retrieve active, newsgroups or some other file from a
> newsserver I can use getlist. The manpage says:
[snip]
>     getlist -h $SERVER active > $SOMEFILE
>
> getlist writes its output to STDOUT and it seems there is no way to
> redirect that output to a file (i also tried tee).

I'd guess that it actually writes to stderr, not stdout.
To redirect this, try

getlist --your-options 2> /some/file

> Do you know a way to redirect it or is it maybe a bug?

I'd suggest that it is a bug, as I /think/ that stderr should
only be used for output from a program that's not the program's
main aim - i.e. error messages, status info - not its actual
output proper.  Wait to see what other, clever people than me
say before filing one, though :-)

HTH,
  jc