Re: hints on SMC network cards

* Hans Wilmer (hwilmer@condor-werke.com) [030507 02:14]:
> hwilmer wrote:
>
> >how are your experiences with network cards from SMC, like the
>
> Hi,
>
> though replying to myselfe :), first thank you very much for your hints!
>
> It seems that 3com 3c905 cards would be the slow but safe solution --- I
> know that they work fine because that´s what in use in our current Debian
> Servers. SMCs seem to be a better choice because they are faster, but using
> a card with RTL chips is out of question. I have two of them at home, and
> had to replace them by 3com cards because none of the RTL cards worked
> reliably; they seem to be just crap ...
>
> What other cards would be a good choice? Intel is often recommended, but
> which driver do they use?

Intel NICs are usually eepro100's.  The eepro100 driver works fine for
them.  Intel also recently put out their own drivers, e100 and e1000.
Both the intel and linux drivers seem to work fine in my experience;
I can't give hard data on whether one works better than the other.

good times,
Vineet

> Hm, is there some nice webpage or FAQ on this issue? Choosing a good NIC
> appears to be a common problem.

I think that part of the problem is that there are many good solutions.
I've had good experiences with many different cards from 3com, intel,
smc, and many other brands.  If you go with a popular card, you should
be fine.

I run mostly 3c905c's at home.

good times,
Vineet