Re: hints on SMC network cards

hwilmer wrote:

how are your experiences with network cards from SMC, like the

Hi,

though replying to myselfe :), first thank you very much for your hints!

It seems that 3com 3c905 cards would be the slow but safe solution --- I know that they work fine because that´s what in use in our current Debian Servers. SMCs seem to be a better choice because they are faster, but using a card with RTL chips is out of question. I have two of them at home, and had to replace them by 3com cards because none of the RTL cards worked reliably; they seem to be just crap ...

What other cards would be a good choice? Intel is often recommended, but which driver do they use?

Hm, is there some nice webpage or FAQ on this issue? Choosing a good NIC appears to be a common problem.

GH