Question on USB 2.0 external hard drive enclosures

(repost because the original question got lost somewhere)

I'm rather bored with the whole process of having to shut the machine off
to put a hard drive in it to copy data off the workstation, and would like
to put a 120 or so gig drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure.

Anyone have some recommendations on who to buy and who to avoid?

I've done a little looking at newegg, and for about 45-50 dollars there's
a few available, but that doesn't tell me how cooling is, how performance
is, and how compatibe it is.

I assume these should work just fine with a 2.4.20 kernel, I should be
able to mount /dev/usb/something?

<*>   USB Mass Storage support

[ ]     Freecom USB/ATAPI Bridge support
[ ]     ISD-200 USB/ATA Bridge support

oh, and probably one of those I would assume(trial and error?)