Re: Password-less IMAP access: Public Key?

On Wednesday 07 May 2003 3:30 pm, moseley@hank.org wrote:
> I was trying to avoid having a password on the machine.  Nice thing about
> ssh-agent is I enter a password once on login and then I have password
> access to all my logins.  If someone gains access to my machine my private
> key is not worth much without my passphrase.  (I suppose they could then
> trojan my ssh-agent password entry program, though.)

The password is the weakest part though, its much simpler to crack the
password than it is to generate your private key, so you should take
reasonable steps to make sure no one can access your private key.

Ive always like the idea of having private keys on a smart card, so even if my
laptop gets stolen my keys are safe. Shame i cant afford a smart card reader
though.

Tom