Re: ADSL Modem recomendations

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 03:54:34AM -0400, Bill Cooper wrote:
> Hello all,
>    the company I work for has decided to host some Internet services
> (mail and web) through a DSL link. We were planning on using the telco
> provided router, but the router (a 3Com OCR612) has proven to be very
> unreliable when it comes to allowing external access to internal services.
>    So does anyone have a modem or router that they can recommend for
> use with Debian? I'd prefer to use a PCI modem, but I'm open to
> anything. BTW telco uses PPPoA (RFC2364).

Why internal?  I bought a dlink 300+ ehernet modem a couple of months
ago. It has pppoe and pppoa and some other option as well built into
the modem, so all I had to do was plug it in to a second ethernet
card, give it a username and password through its web interface and it
worked. It uses dhcp to give an ip address to your ethernet card, so
you don't need any software at all on the debian side.

No router, but maybe dlink has a fancier model that does, otherwise
just use your linux box.

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
					Psalm 130:3