Re: IDE ATA RAID under Linux

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 04:17:35PM -0700, nate wrote:
> they worked ok, though any time a disk failed the system would kernel
> panic(reiserfs would panic). And I had a lot of disk failures, probably

I've heard more people mention 3ware favorably than other vendors, but
this makes me a little concerned ... a kernel panic isn't exactly what
I was hoping for in the case of a drive failure! ;-)  Does anyone have
any idea if current 3ware cards/drivers are better?

Also, some IDE RAID manufacturers (e.g. Promise) list specific Linux
distributions that they support. Just wondering if this means getting
them to run under Debian would be a real challenge or not recommended.

I originally thought I'd go with 3ware, but the reseller I work with say
that they aren't necessarily compatible with a lot of the hotswap bays
that are out there (as opposed to Promise or Adaptec).  You mentioned
that 3ware has drive cages but when I checked out their site it seems
that they only have one option (4 bays, $200).  I'm currently looking at
doing just mirroring (I'm choosing hardware over software RAID only to
reduce complexity in the case of a recovery -- someone please let me
know if I'm really wrong about this!).  The main reason for getting RAID
is to protect against data loss due to drive failure; uptime would be
nice, but that's not a priority right now (this is a low budget
operation).

The Arco IDE solution looks good too because to the OS an array will
appear as a normal IDE disk.  Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Jen