IDE ATA RAID under Linux

I'm about to buy a computer to act as a server, and I'd like it to have
a relatively inexpensive RAID solution.  Just wondering what people's
experiences with this has been.  Looking through old posts, it seems
like a lot of RAID drivers are not quite there yet.  I also saw
recommendations for software RAID, but I'm not really sure about that
(I'm assuming it increases complexity in a recovery situation and also
I'm concerned about performance).  I did see a post that mentions a
driverless RAID solution, though:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=008a01c24e1e%245b208b00%242b67c6d0%40chelly

Anyway, anyone care to share experiences (over a reasonable amount of
time with significant use) of various RAID hardware solutions?  Trying
to figure out which one to buy ...

Thanks!

Jen