Re: ADSL Modem recomendations

On Tue, 06 May 2003 10:00:21 +0200
Bill Cooper <BillCooper@mailandnews.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>     the company I work for has decided to host some Internet services
> (mail and web) through a DSL link. We were planning on using the telco
> provided router, but the router (a 3Com OCR612) has proven to be very
> unreliable when it comes to allowing external access to internal services.
>     So does anyone have a modem or router that they can recommend for
> use with Debian? I'd prefer to use a PCI modem, but I'm open to
> anything. BTW telco uses PPPoA (RFC2364).

I don't know anything about routers, sorry; but:
>     Does anyone have any experience with the Alcatel SpeedTouch modem
> under Debian Woody?
I just use an alcatel speedtouch.
I couldn't get the *kernel* module to work, due to dependencies, but the *user* module works fine.
Here's a guide:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/speedtouch/speedtouch/doc-linux/howto/SpeedTouch-HOWTO-en.html

Bye,

Guldo