Re: Cronjob every hour

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 10:15:25PM +0200, Willem-Jan Meijer wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 May 2003 12:28:14 +0200
> > "Willem-Jan Meijer" <meyer3@chello.nl> wrote:
> >> I'm running webalizer for my website statistics. They are modified
> >> every day, but I want it to run every hour In /etc/cron.d/ I added a
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> file named webalizer and put the line
> >>
> >> 15 * * * *  nice /etc/cron.daily/webalizer
> >>
> >> In it, but when it's e.g. 12:15 nothing happens.
> >>
> >> What do I have to setup, so that my statistics are modified every
> >> hour?

Files in /etc/cron.d need to include the user to run the job as.  As
written, your /etc/cron.d/webalizer is attempting to run
/etc/cron.daily/webalizer as a user named "nice".  You probably don't
have a user by that name, so it fails.

Change it it

15 * * * *  root  nice /etc/cron.daily/webalizer

and it should behave as you intended.  (Although running webalizer as
a non-root user with read access to the logs and write access to the
stats directory would be better...)

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that