Re: VPN

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 06:08, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 20:58, Mark Roach wrote:

> > > No, the Cisco VPN client is also available for Linux. As far as I know,
> > > unfortunately there's no client you can use to replace it. You have to
> > > use the Cisco VPN client on a Cisco VPN.
> >
> > Nope, I have several debian/freeswan systems acting as lan to lan ipsec
> > gateways with a Cisco VPN Concentrator, I have given some info on the
> > subject on this list in the past, but if it is usefult, and someone is
> > willing to host it somewhere I can make a mini-howto on the subject.
>
> How about giving it to tldp.org?  They'll host it for free...

I guess I can ask them, my thinking was that the howto will likely be
pretty debian centric, not sure if that is a problem for the tldp.org
folks.

I will get started on this and let you all take a look probably in the
first half of this week. In the meantime, here is some info on the
subject that I sent to someone else a while back...

ipsec.conf:
config setup
        # THIS SETTING MUST BE CORRECT or almost nothing will work;
        # %defaultroute is okay for most simple cases.
        interfaces=%defaultroute
        #interfaces="ipsec0=ppp0"
        # Debug-logging controls:  "none" for (almost) none, "all" for lots.
        klipsdebug=none
        plutodebug=none
        # Use auto= parameters in conn descriptions to control startup actions.
        plutoload=%search
        plutostart=%search
        # Close down old connection when new one using same ID shows up.
        uniqueids=yes

conn UHG-Cisco
        keyingtries=0
        authby=secret
        # Left security gateway, subnet behind it, next hop toward right.
        left=66.237.226.250
        leftsubnet=10.13.0.0/16
        leftnexthop=66.237.226.241
        # Right security gateway, subnet behind it, next hop toward left.
        right=68.17.114.243
        rightsubnet=10.13.7.64/27
        rightnexthop=66.20.107.1
        keylife=8h
        lifetime=8h
        auto=start

ipsec.secrets:
hah, just kidding ;-)

Then on the concentrator,

then on the cisco side I set up a Lan-to-Lan connection like so:

               Name [MyConnection  ]                   Enter the name for this
                                                       LAN-to-LAN connection.
                    [One of: Ethernet 2 (Public)       Select the interface for
          Interface (66.237.226.250)]                  this LAN-to-LAN
                                                       connection.
                                                       Enter the IP address of
               Peer [68.17.114.243    ]                the remote peer for this
                                                       LAN-to-LAN connection.
Digital Certificate [None (Use Preshared Keys)]        Select the digital
                                                       certificate to use.
        Certificate # Entire certificate chain         Choose how to send the
       Transmission o Identity certificate only        digital certificate to
                                                       the IKE peer.
                                                       Enter the preshared key
      Preshared Key [my little secret]                 for this LAN-to-LAN
                                                       connection.
                                                       Specify the packet
     Authentication [ESP/MD5/HMAC-128]                 authentication mechanism
                                                       to use.
         Encryption [3DES-168]                         Specify the encryption
                                                       mechanism to use.
                                                       Select the IKE Proposal
       IKE Proposal [One of: FreeSwan]                 to use for this LAN-to-
                                                       LAN connection.
                                                       Choose the filter to
                                                       apply to the traffic
             Filter [--None--]                         that is tunneled through
                                                       this LAN-to-LAN
                                                       connection.
                                                       Check to let NAT-
                                                       T compatible IPSec peers
                                                       establish this LAN-to-
        IPSec NAT-T º                                  LAN connection through a
                                                       NAT device. You must
                                                       also enable IPSec over
                                                       NAT-T under NAT
                                                       Transparency.
                                                       Choose the bandwidth
   Bandwidth Policy [---None---]               policy to apply to this
                                                       LAN-to-LAN connection.
                                                       Choose the routing
                                                       mechanism to
            Routing [None]                             use.Parameters below are
                                                       ignored if Network
                                                       Autodiscovery is chosen.
Local Network: If a LAN-to-LAN NAT rule is used, this is the Translated Network
address.

       Network List [Use IP Address/Wildcard-mask below]
                                                      Specify the local
                                                       network address list or
         IP Address [10.13.0.0        ]                the IP address and
                                                       wildcard mask for this
                                                       LAN-to-LAN connection.
                                                       Note: Enter a wildcard
                                                       mask, which is the
                                                       reverse of a subnet
                                                       mask. A wildcard mask
      Wildcard Mask [0.0.255.255      ]                has 1s in bit positions
                                                       to ignore, 0s in bit
                                                       positions to match. For
                                                       example, 10.10.1.0/
                                                       0.0.0.255 = all
                                                       10.10.1.nnn addresses.

Remote Network: If a LAN-to-LAN NAT rule is used, this is the Remote Network
address.

       Network List [Use IP Address/Wildcard-mask below]
                                                       Specify the remote
                                                       network address list or
         IP Address [10.13.7.64       ]                the IP address and
                                                       wildcard mask for this
                                                       LAN-to-LAN connection.
                                                       Note: Enter a wildcard
                                                       mask, which is the
                                                       reverse of a subnet
                                                       mask. A wildcard mask
      Wildcard Mask [0.0.0.31         ]                has 1s in bit positions
                                                       to ignore, 0s in bit
                                                       positions to match. For
                                                       example, 10.10.1.0/
                                                       0.0.0.255 = all
                                                       10.10.1.nnn addresses.

Then the FreeSwan Ike Proposal:

Modify a configured IKE Proposal.

            Proposal Name FreeSwan________________________  Specify the name of this IKE Proposal.
      Authentication Mode [Preshared Keys_________________] Select the authentication mode to use.
 Authentication Algorithm [MD5/HMAC-128]                    Select the packet authentication algorithm to use.
     Encryption Algorithm [3DES-168]                        Select the encryption algorithm to use.
     Diffie-Hellman Group [Group 2 (1024-bits)]             Select the Diffie Hellman Group to use.
     Lifetime Measurement [Time]                            Select the lifetime measurement of the IKE keys.
            Data Lifetime 10000_______________              Specify the data lifetime in kilobytes (KB).
            Time Lifetime 28800_______________              Specify the time lifetime in seconds.

And, finally the L2L: MyConnection Security Association:

Modify a configured Security Association.

   SA Name L2L: MyConnection Specify the name of this Security Association (SA).
   Inheritance [From Rule] Select the granularity of this SA.

   IPSec Parameters
   Authentication Algorithm [ESP/MD5/HMAC-128] Select the packet authentication algorithm to use.
   Encryption Algorithm [3DES-168] Select the ESP encryption algorithm to use.
   Encapsulation Mode [Tunnel___] Select the Encapsulation Mode for this SA.
   Perfect Forward Secrecy [Group 2 (1024-bits)] Select the use of Perfect Forward Secrecy.
   Lifetime Measurement [Time] Select the lifetime measurement of the IPSec keys.
   Data Lifetime 10000_______________ Specify the data lifetime in kilobytes (KB).
   Time Lifetime 28800_______________ Specify the time lifetime in seconds.

   IKE Parameters
   IKE Peer 68.17.114.243_______ Specify the IKE Peer for a LAN-to-LAN IPSec connection.
   Negotiation Mode [Main______] Select the IKE Negotiation mode to use.
   Digital Certificate [None (Use Preshared Keys)] Select the Digital Certificate to use.
   Certificate Transmission (*) Entire certificate chain
   ( ) Identity certificate only Choose how to send the digital certificate to the IKE peer.
   IKE Proposal [FreeSwan________] Select the IKE Proposal to use as IKE initiator.