Re: VPN

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 10:39:39AM +0200, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm still wondering how far VPN is a standard, because I need a Linux
> replacement for a Cisco VPN client, which is AFAIK only available for
> Windows anyway. So, iIs there a compatible client I can use?

No, the Cisco VPN client is also available for Linux. As far as I know,
unfortunately there's no client you can use to replace it. You have to
use the Cisco VPN client on a Cisco VPN.

> Also I noticed that there are a lot of different free VPN
> clients/systems. Has anybody made experience with some? Pros/Contras?
> The Linux VPN Howto I read seemed to be a bit outdated.

Well, there are a few good systems, and freeswan is widely used around
the web. I'd recommend you to try that if you were setting up your own
network, but it doesn't work with Cisco VPNs.