Re: partitions

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 11:44, Gezim H wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Right now my partitions are a big mess!
> hda1 is winME
> hda2 is swap
> hda3 is suse
> hda4 is debian
> Thus, I can't boot into suse because my lilo runs from
> debian, and I can only boot to winME or debian.
For this problem, you need to put the suse kernel into /boot on your
debian partition.  Or you could alternativly use grub and just specify
partition and boot like you would expect.

> My computer is only about a year old, and I want to
> know can my /boot partition be in hda2? Does it have
> to be within the first 1024 cylinders? And can my
> /home partiton by logican partition?
If its only a year old then most likely not on the 1024 thing.  For the
/home part yes it can be a logical partition.

> Right now, I'm planing to leave (if this works) hda1
> as winME, and the partiton table would look like this:
> /dev/hda1  winME
> /dev/hda2  /boot
> /dev/hda3  /swap
> /dev/hda4  extended
> /dev/hda5  /home
> /dev/hda6  gentoo
> /dev/hda7  debian
>
> Does this look good? Is there a better way to set it
> up? Do I need other partitons for /var ,etc?
Yeah that looks good.  You could additionally share a small /tmp
parition between the two.  I would not recommend sharing /var though.
There are probably differences between debian and gentoo that would make
this problematic at best.

--
Scott Henson <debian-list@silvercoin.dyndns.org>