Re: Trouble logging on to website w/ Mozilla

On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 17:04, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Greetings list,
>
> I am having some trouble logging on to a website.  This is the error message I
> get:
>
> > Your browser has been identified as indicated below:
> >
> > Netscape 5.0 (X11; en-US)
> >
> > This site supports the following browers:
> >
> > # Netscape Navigator version 4.06 or later
> > # Netscape Communicator
> > # Microsoft Internet Explorer version 4.0 or later
>
> When I go to the FAQ on how to setup the browser, it basically says that any
> browser with 128-bit encryption and JavaScript is supported (with the exception
> of Netscape 6.0).  I am using Mozilla 1.3 (from the unstable repository) and I
> have JavaScript enabled.
>
> I have already tried changing the browser agent string to try and tell the site
> I am using IE5.5, but they must be detecting from something else because it
> doesn't work.  I have already emailed their tech support and their answer was
> basically, "That's not our problem, try using IE or Netscape."  Can anyone
> suggest how to get around this?

A nice little trick I learned for sites with clueless admins is to go
find yourself a computer with MSIE on it and go to the site.  At this
point it should go through its browser checks and redirect you to the
proper site.  Just grab that URL and take it to your mozilla browser.
It should work if you type it in verbatum. Thing is most of these
clueless admins who code to MSIE, also forget to set a cookie within
thier browser checks, so if you feed mozilla the final url you are able
to bypass the browser checks with out anyone being the wiser.

--
Scott Henson <debian-list@silvercoin.dyndns.org>