Re: CPU recommendations *avoid Intel shite*

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 08:05:32PM -0400, Scott Henson wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 18:07, Haralambos Geortgilakis wrote:
> > Hi Yall,
> >
> > see the following timely link & spread it far & wide.
> >
> > ChipZilla will fall.
> >
> > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9267
>
> I would just like to counter this article right fast.  First thing I
> would like to point out is that on pricewatch it shows a 2GHz Celeron
> selling for $70(USD), while a P4 running at the same clock speed will
> set you back $144(USD).

I thought it was more or less content-free, myself. All it seems to
say is that current Celerons don't perform as well as the author would
like. What's the big deal? Intel PC CPUs have existed in "full" and
"stunted" forms from way back, DX/SX or even 8086/8088. The stunted
versions don't perform so well, but they're a lot cheaper.

> Now, with that said, I am a big user of celerons for one big purpose.
> They are extremely over clockable...<snip>...So basically if you know
> how to over clock then it might be worth it to buy one.

Traditional Intel strong point, agreed.

What's really annoying about this business is that Intel and AMD CPUs
are no longer pin-compatible...

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons