Re: Accessing vfat fs as normal user

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 09:10:47AM -0400, Don Nash wrote:
> > Not shown in the fstab is my firewire drive , which
> > manually mount as /dev/sdb  -t vfat /firewire.  I cannot access this
> as
> > a normal user either, only as root.  I have read the various mans for
> > chmod,chown, setuid, setfsuid,update-passwd and have scoured the
> > newsgroups and debian mailing lists for similar problems, to no avail.

> > Attached is a copy of my fstab.   Aside from this relatively minor
> > problem, which I'm sure is the result of something dumb I did, the
> > distro runs pretty smoothly.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Don Nash

I don't remember this exactly (it's been a while since I did it), but I
had the same problem. The solution lies in the options you specify to
the mount. Certain options have presedence over others, so the order of
the options is crucial to make it work. My vfat partition is mounted and
accessible to all users using this fstab entry:

/dev/hdXX	/mnt/vfat	rw,exec,user,umask=000	0	0

This should make your vfat partition accessible to all users. To mount your firewire device manually, just do:

mount /dev/sdb -t vfat -o rw,exec,user,umask=000 /firewire

In addition, you may need to chmod your mount dirs for users to access
them.

--
Håvard Stranden
(GnuPG key: http://www.cloudchaser.net/om/?p=gpg)