Re: wtf happened to my fonts?

On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 01:21, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Sat, 3 May 2003 01:23:33 +0200
> martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > before, the fonts were really nice, smooth, and a pleasure to look
> > at. now it looks like a 1980 atari. nothing against 1980 ataris.
> >
> > does anyone have a clue what happened?
>
> In another thread on this list in the last couple of days, someone mentioned
> that the order of lookup for font paths has changed, and another person
> discovered that his XF86Config-4 was missing some font paths.
>
> Kevin

Okay, I started up atari800.x11, and am reminded of how great those
characters were. I always installed my own replacement font, along with
a couple of tools that gave me multitasking (if you call a clock in the
upper right corner multitasking - on a 1.78 MHz CPU, it was to me.) The
*good* stuff I did on that system was the assembling debugger that I
wrote to patch the machine like mad to my tastes, including trying to
figure out a way to give myself 24x80 screens via graphics modes (it
worked, and was illegible) and a windowing, multitasking system - it
"theoretically worked", but was just too much overhead for memory
management emulation, graphics routines and task switching, plus the
graphic screen.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org