Re: CPU recommendations - comments

hi ya paul

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 05:51:56PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > 	( whomever put fans on top of the heatsink was a nutty one
> > 	( trying to save $$$ on heatsink and fans and now we're stuck with
> > 	( those costs saving idea from 20 yrs ago
>
> Actually, it's not a bad idea if the fan is exhausting the heatsink
> instead of trying to blow down into it.  20 years ago, PCs didn't even

yup, on the older cpu stuff not needing heatsinks, but power transistors
did need some heatsinks

havent tested the blowing down vs sucking up heat ... think its
sorta the same issue in that the air still has to make a 90degree turn
within the heatsink but should work better for exhausting ( less
turbulence )

for amd cpu's, i tend to blow air sideways across the heatsink instead
of onto the cpu

> use heatsinks.  Not that it matters much, I moved to water cooling
> long ago.

for more water cooling and peltier stuff ( where to get um )
	http://www.linux-1u.net/HeatSinkFans/peltier.gwif.html

c ya
alvin