Re: what is this error message?

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 03:18:27PM -0400, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> On Fri, 2 May 2003 11:23:46 -0700
> Ben Hartshorne <debian_user@green.hartshorne.net> wrote:
>
> > I put "Apt::Default-Release='stable'" along with the testing listings in
> > /etc/apt/sources.list.  I did it to get bogofilter.  About 6 extra
> > packages came along (I think libc6 2.2 was one of them) but the system
> > seemed perfectly happy to keep both libc6s around.
> >
> > I havn't seen any problems.
> >
> > Is there something lurking that's going to bite me?
>
> Yes, there is; it just hasn't bitten you yet. But if you continue to install
> testing/unstable packages on a stable system sooner or later it will bite,
> and maybe hard.

ok, so before I go digging through the apt-howto again, any tips on how
to repair my currently-split machine?

apt-showversions can show me everything I've gotten from the unstable
distro, right?

Then I can apt-get -t stable or apt-get remove each of those packages?

::sigh::

I'd like to suggest changing section 3.8 of the apt-howto to
specifically warn that the method they discuss there should only be used
from unstable to testing, and never from stable to unstable.

I was reading through documentation trying to figure out how to have
bogofilter on my stable system, and that was the best answer I got.
Perhaps backports should be mentioned there too.  hmm.

-ben

--
Ben Hartshorne
email: ben@hartshorne.net