Re: Setting up Woody on Laptop

Hi Larry

> 1) How to I get the man index installed?  I can do a
> man on a topic and see it, but if I do a "man -k
> topic", nothing is listed.  On the old Redhats, I'd
> run a "makewhatis" to finish the man install.  What do
> I do on Debian?
Are you sure you have anacron installed? This (re)builds the man index on a
regular basis.

> 2) I'm having trouble getting Xwindows to run in
> anything but the lowest (320x240) mode.  Is xf86config
> the utitilty to set this up, or is there a smarter one?
>
> xf86cfg pops up a fine resolution, but doesn't seem to
> save it anywhere.
What I have done is certainly not the "right" way, but it was easy: Put the
Knoppix CD in your cdrom drive, select screen=<your_desired_resolution>, save
the created /etc/X11/XF86Config on a floppy, and use this one.
you could also do dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86.

> 3) When I run locate, I get:
> locate: /var/lib/locate/locatedb: No such file or
> directory
See No. 1). Have you installed {d|s}locate ?

hth
joerg

--
Gib GATES keine Chance!