Setting up Woody on Laptop

I gave up upgrading Potato to Woody, and just
installed Woody on my Gateway laptop.

Questions:
1) How to I get the man index installed?  I can do a
man on a topic and see it, but if I do a "man -k
topic", nothing is listed.  On the old Redhats, I'd
run a "makewhatis" to finish the man install.  What do
I do on Debian?

2) I'm having trouble getting Xwindows to run in
anything but the lowest (320x240) mode.  Is xf86config
the utitilty to set this up, or is there a smarter
one?

xf86cfg pops up a fine resolution, but doesn't seem to
save it anywhere.

3) When I run locate, I get:
locate: /var/lib/locate/locatedb: No such file or
directory

How do I fix this?

Thanks.