Re: Disk Partitioning ? From a Newbie

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Irish, Jon D BAE SYSTEMS wrote:

> Hi All,
> I just read through the Linux Partition HowTo, but I must have missed

collection of the howto paritioning docs
	http://Linux-1U.net/Partition

> something. I have a 40GB IDE drive that I would like to partition
> multiple times instead of using the basic swap, boot, rest-of-drive
> scheme. After reading the documentation, I thought that I would try to
> partition it with partitions for: BOOT, SWAP, /, VAR, USR, TMP, and
> HOME.

you want to user / or /boot as the 1st partition

swap partition is of swap type ... don't think you wanna put it first
in the "primary section"

you typically have 3 primary partitions and 1 exended in which the rest
of your partitions are logical paritions

if cfdisk is a pain, try using fdisk instead ...
	- fdisk does what youtell it, in the order you tell it
	and doesn't try to incorrectly outsmart you

> I tried numerous permutations of using Primary and Logical
> partitions, but after initializing the SWAP and / partition, I always
> get Mount Failed: Invalid Argument messages for the rest of the
> partitions. I am doing the partitioning with cfdisk. I have tried the
> following scenarios with no luck:
> SWAP = Primary, All Others = Logical

bad idea

> SWAP = Primary, / = Primary, All Others = Logical

okay except for swap

first partitions should be stuff that is needed to boot the system
( / and /boot, though a partition for /boot is not needed if you / is
under 500MB or so )

> SWAP = Primary, / = Primary, /boot = Primary, All Others = Logical

if its not working,  move swap to extended ( logical ) paritions
and be sure to set the "swap" type

> Obviously, I am not grasping a very key concept here. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

c ya
alvin