Re: next debian stable ?

Nathan E Norman wrote:

>>Well, then "they" ought to get used to the idea of being used by an
>>increasingly-smaller cross-section of the Linux-using community.
>

> This threat is heard repeatedly year after year; yet debian "user
> share" keeps growing.  I wonder why?

Really... Do you have a reference somewhere? I suppose you're giving as
much support to your argument as I gave to mine, but whenever I see
polls on the net, Red Hat, SuSE, and Mandrake are typically in the lead.
(Except for the desktoplinux.com poll, which seems to have been horribly
"stuffed" compared to all the others.) Debian usually places a
respectable 4th. Six months or a year ago, I could see that. What's the
future look like for Debian? Assuming for a moment that sarge's release
is 6 months off, and *if* KDE 3 and Gnome 2 make it into that release,
that puts Debian at a year and a half behind the other 3. Do you think
that will foster adoption of the distro? I'd qualify my comments about
the difference between a desktop and a server distro, but if you want to
master a distro, you really need to use it in both places.

http://www.linux.ie/polls/pollresults.php?recount_pollId=1

http://www.vmlinuz.nu/pollBooth.php?op=results&pollID=3

http://www.hacktech.org/poll.php

http://developers.forchrist.com/index.php3?inc=results

http://linux.s390.org/poll/view-all.php3

http://www.tech-critic.com/polls.php?&perpage=10&pagenum=2

http://www.kde.com/polls/view.php?poll=6

Yeah, yeah. I know. "If you don't like it, don't use it." I get it. I'm
still trying to figure out if it's worth it, *to me*, to live so far
behind the curve for the sake of getting out from under a corporate
interest. Red Hat just burned us with their licensing changes, and I
don't want to get hooked on SuSE (it's _great_ from what I've seen so
far) only to have them pull the same stunt in 6 months. You can bet that
if the move doesn't hurt Red Hat, the other commercial vendors will
follow suit...

Regards,
dk

--
David "Dunkirk" Krider, http://www.davidkrider.com
Acts 17:28, "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."