USB Printer Problem--Can only print one page at a time

I've tried sending this question to a few printer-specific email lists
and gotten no response. Can anyone here help me?

I recently switched from parallel cable to USB for my Brother HL-1440.
I'm running Debian unstable; CUPS 1.1.18 with the foomatic drivers 2.9
and kernel 2.4.19 (although the problem described below happens when
using the CUPS HP Laserjet II Series as well, and I've had similar
problems with linux 2.4.20).

With the parallel cable, everything worked totally fine. Since I switchd
to USB, I'm only able to print one page, and the following appears
repeatedly in syslog and dmesg:

kernel: printer.c: usblp0: error -84 reading printer status
last message repeated 2478 times

The yellow "Data" light is on constantly. If I press the button on the
printer, the page comes out incomplete.

I've tried searching the web for this problem/error and not come up with
anything definitive. One suggestion was to unplug the USB cable after
boot up and reconnect; this didn't help. Thus far nothing has mitigated
the problem.

Any suggestions or pointers would be much appreciated.

--Adam Kessel