Re: WMV file still doesn't play and now some packages broke

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, [iso-8859-1] Roberto Sanchez wrote:

>  --- David Fokkema <fokkema@nat.vu.nl> escribió: > On Tue, 29 Apr 2003,
> > Are there _any_ files you can play with mplayer and/or xine? For instance,
> > if you go to http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/2003/09/video/a and
> > download the mpeg can you play this one? If all you get is a blue screen,
> > I'd check my X config and disable all hardware optimisations and alike.
> > Then try again...
> >
> > I once had only blue screens when I tried to enable some optimisations.
> >
> All three of the files on that page give the same results.  They do not
> work with video output set to xv, but work fine with other output settings.
> I can't imagine what would cause the problem, as this started happening
> after my upgrade to unstable.  What optimizations could be causing this?
> What do I need to look for?

Well, around the first release of xfree version 4, I wanted to use the
trident driver for my cyberblade i7 instead of the (slow) framebuffer
driver. The trident driver has different options suchas fbdev, cybershadow
and things like that. They can tell X to use more and more trident
specific optimisations and well, I only got blue screens instead of video
and also, my screen flickered when scrolling.

I think you should check your X driver options (in my case, man trident)
or switch to the framebuffer driver (for the moment). If you then _do_ see
video output, you have at least an idea of what the problem might be...

HTH,

David