Re: cd sound but no other sound

on Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 10:24:35PM -0700, JS Bangs (jaspax@u.washington.edu) wrote:
> Hey, all:
>
> I've been tinkering with my ALSA sound card lately, and after fixing with
> the settings for the sound card, I've got sound coming out of my speakers
> when I put a cd in. However, no other type of sound seems to be available.
> MP3's don't play, though the appropriate libraries are installed, and
> bells and whatnot from KDE don't make any noise.

CD Audio is (almost completely) seperate from all other system audio.
The exception is that sometimes CD audio won't work until after your
soundcard's been initialized.  Point being that what does or doesn't
work when playing CDs has very little, if anything, to bear on how the
rest of your system is configured.

> What have I missed?

I'd start by checking that ALSA itself is properly configured, and for
any error messages in system logs.

Peace.

    user-agent considered harmful.  Encourage W3M standards:
    http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/UserContentString