RE: nvidia-kernel module problem with kernel-source-2.4.18

On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 09:40, Kris Huber wrote:
> >> Hi Debian-users,
> >>
> >> I run woody and try to install the nvidia driver for my NVidia TNT2
> card.
> >> I have read through many posts and following the advices installed
> >> kernel-source 2.4.18 - but when trying to compile the nvidia kernel-
> >module it
> >> says that I am using a 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel so there is a mismatch.
> >> It is true, my kernel is the *-bf2.4 one (recommended during
> >> woody-installation).
> >> It is beyond my knowledge what that -bf2.4 means...
> >> I looked up my distro but couldn't find anything like a kernel-source
> for
> >> 2.4.18-bf2.4, only the simple 2.4.18 one.
> >
> >The boot floppy using the 2.4 kernel.
> >
> >However, go here, and get the autoinstaller program.  It's very
> >handy.
> >http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux
> >

> I recently ran into similar problems with Linux Display Driver Version
> 1.0-4363 for Linux IA32 released April 24, 2003.  I found that the
> autoinstaller program didn't locate a compiled kernel version matching
> 2.4.18-bf2.4, and then it failed to compile one, complaining about not
> finding the kernel header files.  To be brief I'll just tell you what
> worked:
[snip]

Ahhhh, yes; since I roll my own kernels (from the deb packages, but
the technique specified linux/README), I already had the headers
installed.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |