Re: network cards setup

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 06:04:13PM -0300, Valter G. Nogueira Jr. wrote:
> During installation debian detects 3 network cards, but it configures e
> brings up just 1.
>
> I found that /ect/network/interfaces is the place to setup and mark for
> autoload others eths.
>
> Now my questions are:
>
> How eth0 is connected to the physical board or driver?

ethx devices are assigned as the driver detects devices.  Most PCI
drivers detect devices in PCI order.  Use lspci for that.

> How do I setup virtual IP adresses to eth0 - like eth0:1?

If you are running a 2.2.x kernel, make sure it has IP aliasing
enabled in the kernel config.  If you are running 2.4.x, you don't
need aliases; interfaces can be assigned multiple IP addresses.  I
prefer the second method as it is more intuitive.  Install the
iproute2 utilities (package "iproute"), and issue a command like

 ip addr add 192.168.0.2 dev eth0

You can issue ip commands (adding addresses, routes, etc.) from a
stand-alone script or via the "up" directive in /etc/interfaces .  See
interfaces(5).

The ip command has command line help; I recommend printing the
PostScript manual as well.  If you've ever used a Cisco router some of
the syntax will look familiar.

> Just to metion I am running woody bf24 at vmware 3.2 w2k host.

Ok, you want iproute2 then :-)  Even though all the interfaces are
virtual, linux shouldn't care.

  Avoid gunfire in the bathroom tonight.