Highlighting text in DDD

I started using DDD on Debian unstable recently and am
noticing the following oddity (on several machines): Whenever
I highlight or select text in DDD, it disappears. I think what
is happening is that the text is being highlighted and turned
white, like the background. Also, I've noticed that when I try
to highlight areas that are not part of a source file (unused
columns on a line), it turns black, which is the color VALID
text columns are supposed to turn.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Solutions?

Joe S.