Re: Tripwire style checking using apt/dpkg (security)

Stephen Birch <steve_debian@ironmountainsystems.com> writes:

> Since apt/dpkg has access to the CRC of every binary installed on a
> running system, it seems to make sense that the binaries of a running
> machine could be verified to make sure there are no trojan horses on
> the machine.
>
> Does anyone know if a tool like this exists already?

debsums does this, sort of.  But not all packages include md5sum
information (it's not required), and I don't know of any
infrastructure that makes sure that the md5sum files are on trusted
read-only media.  It's still useful for trying to recover from
filesystem corruption, though, and the debsums documentation suggests
a technique for plugging it into APT to generate md5sum files for
packages that don't already have them.

	-- Abra Mitchell