Re: Logging on to X as root?

 --- David Krider <david@davidkrider.com> escribió: > Kent West wrote:

> > Basically, logging in as root is strongly discouraged. There are better
> > ways to accomplish what you want (su -m, or sudo), but if you insist,
> > the answer's in the previous threads.
>
> Something has just come up for me, and I don't see it mentioned in the
> try to run the "setup" program for it as root (so that I can put it in
> /opt/openoffice), it won't let me run the X application. I've even set
> `xhost +' from a user terminal and tried both DISPLAY=localhost:0 and
> DISPLAY=<machinename>:0. Nothing works. I can't make the system allow me
> run an su'ed X command. Is there some config file someplace preventing
> this? It would be news to me, but then I'm new to Debian. The timeout
> before the error (cannot connect to X server localhost:0), only gets
> longer when I actually set a DISPLAY variable. This ought to be telling
> me something; I just know it...
>
> Thanks,
> dk

Use a utility like 'sudo', or use the -p option with your basic 'su' command.
In both cases, your normal user environment is preserved for the root user
process you want to run (letting you connect to the xserver and all that).

-Roberto Sanchez

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es