Re: Logging on to X as root?

Roberto Sanchez wrote:

Use a utility like 'sudo', or use the -p option with your basic 'su' command. In both cases, your normal user environment is preserved for the root user
process you want to run (letting you connect to the xserver and all that).

Indeed this works. Thank you! I now have OpenOffice installed.

I'm still curious, though, about the reason that the other way seemingly *can't* work. Why won't a simple `su -' to root let me run an X application, even though I export a DISPLAY variable and `xhost +' on the user side? I want to understand what Debian is doing here.

Thanks again,
dk