"Segmentation fault" running "ls" ...?

Please somebody give me a clue what's going on here? I've searched around a bit for others having the same problem, it seems to be unique to my computer.

----- Script -----
~/lsfu$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.16-586 (herbert@gondolin) (gcc version 2.95.4 20011006 (Debian prerelease)) #1 Wed Nov 28 08:21:15 EST 2001
~/lsfu$ which ls
/bin/ls
~/lsfu$ ls `which ls`
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin         56544 Feb 28 01:53 /bin/ls
~/lsfu$ alias ls
bash: alias: ls: not found
~/lsfu$ mkdir apostrophe\'inname space\ inname plainname
~/lsfu$ ls apostrophe\'inname/
sh: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
Segmentation fault
~/lsfu$ ls space\ inname/
~/lsfu$ ls plainname/
total 0
~/lsfu$ echo foo > apostrophe\'inname/bar
~/lsfu$ echo foo > space\ inname/bar
~/lsfu$ echo foo > plainname/bar
~/lsfu$ ls apostrophe\'inname/
sh: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
Segmentation fault
~/lsfu$ ls space\ inname/
~/lsfu$ ls plainname/
total 4
-rw-r--r--   1 jtacoma  jtacoma         4 Apr 26 20:21 bar
----- End Script -----

Bug in 'ls'?  ...not likely ;)
Configuration problem?  ...what configuration?
Somebody cracked my computer and modifying my binaries was the means?
...i'd rather not believe it.. is there any other possibility?

I was getting *parse* errors with 'ls --color' until yesterday (something about a do loop), but that seems to be fixed now and I don't have a record.

Is this all just normal fair with a mixed unstable/testing installation?

Thanks for your time,
Josh.