Re: "Segmentation fault" running "ls" ...?

Joshua Tacoma said:
> Please somebody give me a clue what's going on here?  I've searched
> around a bit for others having the same problem, it seems to be unique  to
> my computer.
>

> ~/lsfu$ ls apostrophe\'inname/
> sh: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
> sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
> Segmentation fault

looks like something in your shell is segfaulting, probably not
ls ?(the errors above reference sh)

try calling ls directly.

also check your profile. also run

file /bin/ls

another thing would be to run strace as well:

strace /bin/ls apostrophe\'inname/

> Is this all just normal fair with a mixed unstable/testing installation?

I wouldn't expect something as basic as ls to ever break, it probably
hardly ever changes :/

nate