Re: DNS zone for internal net

In article <20030426150006$651e@gated-at.bofh.it>, moseley@hank.org wrote:

> I'm running Bind9 on the machine that is doing NAT for the internal LAN.  It
> provides public DNS lookups for my public machines.  Of course I don't want
> to add private IPs to the zone that lists the public IPs.
>
> I suppose one solution would be to create a subdomain and then add a zone
> for that subdomain (that only allowed DNS queries from the internal LAN).
> But then outgoing mail from the internal LAN might use the subdomain which.
>
> I'm sure this is a common setup with a better solution.

You want to use views.
An example (from my home network)....

You may want to adjust this further. The BIND 9 ARM has all the info you
need; you may also want to search the comp.protocols.dns.bind newsgroup
/ bind-users mailing list archives.

/etc/named.conf:

acl internal { 127.0.0.0/8; 192.168.168.0/23; };
acl dmz { 64.174.220.40/29; };
options {
      [....]
};
view "inside" {
        match-clients { internal; dmz; };
        recursion yes;

        zone "veggiechinese.net" {
                type master;
                file "internal/veggiechinese.net";
                allow-transfer { internal; dmz; };
        };

        zone "168.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
                type master;
                file "internal/168.168.192.in-addr.arpa";
                allow-transfer { internal; dmz; };
        };

        zone "." {
                type hint;
                file "named.root";
        };
[ snip other inside views ]
};

view "outside" {
        match-clients { any; };
        recursion no;
        zone "veggiechinese.net" {
                type master;
                file "external/veggiechinese.net";
        };

        zone "." {
                type hint;
                file "named.root";
        };
[....]
];

--
No copies, please.
To reply privately, simply reply; don't remove anything.