Re: Forcing modem to dial in absence of dialtone [SOLVED]

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 02:34:58PM -0700, nate wrote:
> Pigeon said:
> > I am currently staying with my parents and am having
> > severe problems trying to connect via dialup.
> > The problem is that they have a telco-based 'answering
> > machine' which signals the presence of waiting messages
> > with an intermittent dialtone. The modem thinks this is an
> > invalid dialtone, reports NO DIAL TONE and I cannot dial out.
>
> have you tried using commas to get the dialer to pause
>
> ATDT,,,1234567
>
> I think each comma is a 1 or 2 second pause, pause long enough
> and that should get around the messages dialtone and the machine
> should be able to see the real dialtone.

Thanks, but unfortunately British Telecom's system doesn't work
like that - you won't hear the "real dialtone" again until the
messages have been picked up.

> you can probably turn off dialtone detection but I wouldn't
> reccomend it, the above solution would be more ideal in my
> opinion.

In mine too, shame it can't be done!

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 06:06:29PM -0400, drew cohan wrote:
> If you're using pppconfig, there's a place for extra AT commands.  What you
> want is X1 (from http://www.option.co.za/hayesat.htm#Hayes%20AT%20Commands):
>
> "ATXn Extended Result codes
>
> X1 Ignore dialtone and busy tone
> X2 Ignore busy tone
> X3 Inner dialtone
> X4 Modem recognises dialtone and busy tone
>
> X3 and X1 set the modem for Blind Dialing. This option is country specific,
> because some countries do not allow blind dialing."
>
> If not, try both X1 and X3 like they suggest.  I think all I've ever had to
> use was X1 when I was in your situation.  And for kicks, throw in S11=50 or
> S11=55, which will reduce the amount of time to 50 or 55 milliseconds
> between DTMF pulses (less waiting for the phone number to dial, 50 is the
> absolute minimum).

Brilliant - thanks a lot, to you and Kent, and thanks for the URL as well.
This works fine!

Pigeon