Re: Mutt: where are msg ln cnts?

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 03:33:34PM -0400, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> -- Soren Andersen <somian@adelphia.net> wrote
> (on Wednesday, 23 April 2003, 12:46 PM -0400):
> > Does Mutt have an inability to show line counts for messages stored in
> > maildir's unless some other factors are present? I cannot recall having
> > seen any mention of this in the FineDocumentation.

> If you look up man muttrc, find the section on index_format. What you're
> looking at is designated by %l (that's a letter 'l'), the number of
> lines in the message. The notation in the man page says that this
> doesn't work with imap, maildir, and mh mailboxes. If you replace it
> with %c, you'll get the size of the message in bytes.

I really apologize for asking. Yes, I *should* have been able to find this
answer for myself. I have read muttrc man-page several times in a
skimming-sort of way.

The trouble with mutt is that it is in the category of "too important to
read the documentation" for me ;-). Let me explain that. "Too important"
means too urgent. I've been knocking around with OpenSource and hacking on
stuff for serveral years and have become accustomed for most of my answers
to *not* being findable in the documentation only discoverable by asking.
And the email client is "too urgent"  to carefully read its documentation
because too much else depends on getting it working, on starting right in
to using it. Trivial software, that I don't need to use very urgently,
that is merely interesting to me -- THAT kind of software I study very
carefully and fully before using ;-). Mutt is too important to read the
manpage from front to back ;-).

Now if *that* makes sense, you are a kindred spirit. Anyway, I have
learned a leeson here and I will henceforth try not to bother the List
with questions whose answers are found readily in the manual. I will read
muttrc from front to back, I promise!

  Best regards,
    Soren

--
Find my GnuPG public key on better keyservers everywhere ;-)
GnuPG public key fingerprint:  BD26 A5D8 D781 C96B 9936  310F 0573 A3D9 4E24 4EA6