Re: Query: what's best low-profile WWW gui-UA for Debian?

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 06:02:30PM -0400, Soren Andersen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 12:12:19PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
>
> > i think mozilla and netscape are hogs. i dont like opera as it is
> > non-free. phoenix seems reasonable
>
> Since early yesterday I have been trying to build Firebird a.k.a.
> Phoenix from source. Why, well ... just a hunch that I might like it
> better that way. I hate to admit defeat but I cannot get it to compile.
>
> Did you install from a Debian package, or how??? Which version are you
> running?  Thanks, Sandip.

While there is an unofficial Debian package, I've always just grabbed
the binaries from Mozilla.org.  Normally, I stick with the release
versions, but it's been quite some time since 0.5 and there have been
many improvements.  So, for now, I grab the latest nightly binary every
once in a while from:

   http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/phoenix/nightly/latest-trunk/

In that directory you should find a few (normally 3) archives.  If
you're running x86 you'll need the following:

   phoenix-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz

I extract this archive and move the "phoenix" folder it creates out to
/usr/local.  Then create a symlink in /usr/local/bin for the phoenix
executable located at /usr/local/phoenix/phoenix.  Then create symlinks
in /usr/local/phoenix/plugins for the mozilla plugins you'd like to have
available.

Finally, as a normal user, run "phoenix".

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string
together lots of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks.
-- Vineet Kumar