Re: Gnome CD burning

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 06:35, csj@mindgate.net wrote:
> On 23 Apr 2003 15:33:49 -0400,
> Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> >
> > I've tried a number of the X11 cd burning packages that I've
> > been able to track down, eventually generally settling into
> > XCD-Roast because it usually worked, even if it does proclaim
> > itself to be an alpha edition.  GCombust, Eclipt Roaster,
> > GToaster, and CDR Toaster have all been tried, and some may
> > have their strengths, but XCD-Roast seemed to be most reliable
> > amongst this collection. That said, most of the time I was
> > using the shell and mkisofs/cdrecord directly.
>
> Has its must-be-SUID-root requirement changed?  I gave up on the
> XCD-Roast because of this and the fact that it insisted on an
> indecent 1024x768 screen resolution. (These two statements can be
> both FUD WRT latest version.)  In contrast gcombust, the last
> X-based burn frontend I used on a regular, happily ran as
> non-root.

As someone that is used to squeezing inordinate amounts of text onto a
screen (did desktop publishing for a decade, so it mattered,) I usually
run the system at at least 1024x768, but yes, it still is laid out to
use that. XCD-Roast still, iirc, loves to have at least a part run as
suid, but the binary itself isn't. xcdrwrap is supposed to isolate the
suid portions, but I've never watched the application closely enough to
know whether it is certain to execute the code as non-suid.

I seem to miss something when using gcombust, and as a result, never can
make the CD the way I want it. I don't poke at gcombust enough to know
what I am doing wrong, though, so I don't fuss about it.

> > Today, I installed a recently arrived package in unstable -
> > nautilus-cd-burner. As yet, it only deals with data (as far as
> > I can tell) so if you are burning CDs of your karaoke additions
> > to popular music (we wouldn't do anything that might involve
> > violating copyright with these programs - right?) this isn't
> > the program - yet - that you want. However, if you are burning
> > data CDs it is fine for basic core functions, and unlike most
> > burning software, it puts the volume label dialog square in the
> > user's face to help make it harder to overlook that (as I do
> > nearly half of the time.)
>
> >From your description I assume it's yet another cdrtools
> frontend.  Is this the same nautilus "plug-in" included with
> Redhat 9.0?  The screenshots look cool in the Gnome 2
> stripped-down kinda way.  In Debian's nautilus I have a menu
> entry for "Go -> CD Creator" which bombs at "'burn:///' is not a
> valid location. Please check the spelling and try again."

Probably is - unless this component package is installed on Debian, the
menu entry does the same thing. If is odd to see it in the menu without
the underlying code - probably should go digging the Gnome bugs to see
if it has been reported yet. As to cdrecord, oddly enough, it isn't a
dependency (nor is mkisofs) - I haven't dug into the code, but they may
have just sucked it into the plugin.

I do, however, like to see vfs leveraged with ideas like this, although
I would like to see it available more universally and flexibly. If it
did develop to also support creation of audio and vcd CDs, and
eventually DVDs, it would be a very powerful tool indeed. I look at this
implementation, and can see how it could be modified into a backup
system, writing to CDs, CD-RWs, DVD-RWs, or tapes with a relatively
common interface amongst them.

> > It doesn't get into the details of potential settings (although
> > it does detect the CD Writer on its own,) and apparently
> > doesn't include support for bootable CDs from scratch, but by
> > copying files to the burn:/// device or context-menu clicking
> > in nautilus on an existing iso image, you can do a nice,
> > relatively-painless cd burn. Great for "dumping off" files that
> > are obsolete or underfoot, but not just "abandonable".
>
> Now if only there's some way to do this reliably for DVD's using
> DFSG-free tools, I might consider getting a DVD-burner.

Get me a nice digital video camera with 16:9 available, and I might be
back into making home videos of the parents, cousins, nieces and
nephews. Then I'll want a DVD-burner, and a 52" plasma screen, and... ;)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org