Gnome CD burning

I've tried a number of the X11 cd burning packages that I've been able
to track down, eventually generally settling into XCD-Roast because it
usually worked, even if it does proclaim itself to be an alpha edition.
GCombust, Eclipt Roaster, GToaster, and CDR Toaster have all been tried,
and some may have their strengths, but XCD-Roast seemed to be most
reliable amongst this collection. That said, most of the time I was
using the shell and mkisofs/cdrecord directly.

Today, I installed a recently arrived package in unstable -
nautilus-cd-burner. As yet, it only deals with data (as far as I can
tell) so if you are burning CDs of your karaoke additions to popular
music (we wouldn't do anything that might involve violating copyright
with these programs - right?) this isn't the program - yet - that you
want. However, if you are burning data CDs it is fine for basic core
functions, and unlike most burning software, it puts the volume label
dialog square in the user's face to help make it harder to overlook that
(as I do nearly half of the time.)

It doesn't get into the details of potential settings (although it does
detect the CD Writer on its own,) and apparently doesn't include support
for bootable CDs from scratch, but by copying files to the burn:///
device or context-menu clicking in nautilus on an existing iso image,
you can do a nice, relatively-painless cd burn. Great for "dumping off"
files that are obsolete or underfoot, but not just "abandonable".
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org