Re: Small mail server....

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 02:13:37PM +0000, Vittorio wrote:
| At home I set up a small debian 3.0 server (connected to 2-3 clients,
| 1 win2k and 1-2 linux box) working as a firewall & router to a dsl
| connection. Besides the small server (small because is composed of an
| old pentium 133 notebook!) runs exim to send mail from outlook
| express on the win2k box.
|
| Now, because I've recently discovered the powerful spamassassin on my
| office installation (procmail - spamassassin - fetchmail - mutt) I'd
| like to install spamassassin also on my home server to "clean" the
| mail I receive on my win2k box outlook express.
|
| My question are:
|
| 1) What "chain" of software should I use in my server together with
| spamassassin to get the mail of my emails (from many providers) and
| hand it to outlook express?

fetchmail ->       MTA           -> Mail Spool
              |                ^
              -> spamassassin -|

Fetchmail pulls mail from the provider(s) and hands it off to the
local MTA.  I would choose either exim (version 4) or postfix as the
MTA.  The MTA needs to be configured to pass the mail through SA
before delivering.  You may want to insert an MDA in between the MTA
and the Mail Spool to sort mail into different folders.

| 2) How should I set outlook express?

IMAP  -> MUA

I am currently using uw-imapd for the IMAP server.  None of the
choices are "perfect".  The IMAP server will bridge between the
network (where the MUA, Outlook Express, is) and the Mail Spool on the
server.

-D

--
Dishonest money dwindles away,
but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/