Re: Lyx to pdf

Fred Smith <fps@dividedsky.net> writes:

> I've been attempting to move from openoffice to latex for some of the
> documents I write because I really like the way that latex prints and
> formats documents.  I've been playing around with LyX as a latex editor,

LyX isn't exactly a latex editor. LyX can export to latex. But I am
pretty sure that LyX uses its own file format internally.

> but i can't get it to export to ps or pdf without chaining through
> "latex" and "dvipdf", even though according to lyx's documentation I'm
> supposed to be able to export directly to ps and pdf from the file menu.

Most Unix programs allow you to "print to ps". You might want to check
that out under the printing section of the program.

> In addition, the latex documents that lyx produces don't always parse
> properly when i pipe them through latex, specifically whenever I embed
> graphics.

This is because you need to export to latex ("save as" or
whatever). LyX files are stored in LyX format and need to be converted
to latex.

>   Am I missing a package that lets me export to pdf from
> within lyx?  Alternately, is there a better latex editor that will go
> straight to a latex formatted pdf or ps file?

I recommend writing latex directly by hand. It's really not that
difficult. The main difficulty is the incredible lack of
documentation. But google and mailing lists should be enough to get
started. If not try some local libraries.

I use the emacs editor with the preview-latex package. You write the
latex code and you can get the preview of equations and graphics. It
is similar to LyX with the benefit that you are really working with
latex.

Bijan