Lyx to pdf

I've been attempting to move from openoffice to latex for some of the
documents I write because I really like the way that latex prints and
formats documents.  I've been playing around with LyX as a latex editor,
but i can't get it to export to ps or pdf without chaining through
"latex" and "dvipdf", even though according to lyx's documentation I'm
supposed to be able to export directly to ps and pdf from the file menu.
In addition, the latex documents that lyx produces don't always parse
properly when i pipe them through latex, specifically whenever I embed
graphics.   Am I missing a package that lets me export to pdf from
within lyx?  Alternately, is there a better latex editor that will go
straight to a latex formatted pdf or ps file?

thanks,
Fred

--
Fred Smith <fps@dividedsky.net>