Re: Inserting special characters..

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 00:33, Leo Spalteholz wrote:
> Ok, maybe this is not exactly debian related but...
>
> I switched to debian about two years ago and havent looked back but
> there is still one windows feature that I miss a lot.  In windows,
> you could insert special characters (like äüÜÄ etc) by holding ALT
> and then typing the ascii value of the character so ALT-132 would be
> ä.  Now in linux the easiest way I've found is to go into
> kcharselect, find the character, copy it to the clipboard and paste
> it into the document.  Naturally this takes about 80 times as long
> and is a huge PITA..   Does anyone know of a comparable way to insert
> special characters in linux?  Soemthing thats fast, like through a
> keyboard shortcut or similar...
>
> Thanks a bunch,
> Leo

Edit and use a personal xmodmap adding the keys you want? Use a
pre-defined xmodmap for a keyboard layout that includes those
characters? I personally use xmodmap.qc, as I have typed so much French
text over the years that I am now most familiar with that layout, and I
can easily type àáâèéêçìíîïòóôöùúûü with the standard settings. I'm not
*exactly* sure where you would find diagrams of the key layouts - I
learned them from MS-DOS 2.something's manual. Both Gnome and KDE have
convenient keyboard layout switchers, so if you don't want to stay with
the alternate one (most are qwerty, only shuffling lesser used
punctuation,) you can switch back to the US keyboard layout.

You may need to play with which iso-8859 layouts you have (either in the
kernel or as modules) and with that, code pages (cp850 will handle
"western international" while cp863 is Canadian French) and nls tables.
I deal with text in a variety of character systems (Cyrillic, Greek,
Arabic and Hebrew currently) so I have too many installed to remember
which is which off the top of my head.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org