Re: Inserting special characters..

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 01:44:30AM -0400, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 00:33, Leo Spalteholz wrote:
> > Ok, maybe this is not exactly debian related but...
> >
> > I switched to debian about two years ago and havent looked back but
> > there is still one windows feature that I miss a lot.  In windows,
> > you could insert special characters (like äüÜÄ etc) by holding ALT
> > and then typing the ascii value of the character so ALT-132 would be
> > ä.  Now in linux the easiest way I've found is to go into
> > kcharselect, find the character, copy it to the clipboard and paste
> > it into the document.  Naturally this takes about 80 times as long
> > and is a huge PITA..   Does anyone know of a comparable way to insert
> > special characters in linux?  Soemthing thats fast, like through a
> > keyboard shortcut or similar...
> >
> > Thanks a bunch,
> > Leo
>
> Edit and use a personal xmodmap adding the keys you want? Use a
> pre-defined xmodmap for a keyboard layout that includes those
> characters? I personally use xmodmap.qc, as I have typed so much French
> text over the years that I am now most familiar with that layout, and I
> can easily type àáâèéêçìíîïòóôöùúûü with the standard settings. I'm not
> *exactly* sure where you would find diagrams of the key layouts - I
> learned them from MS-DOS 2.something's manual. Both Gnome and KDE have
> convenient keyboard layout switchers, so if you don't want to stay with
> the alternate one (most are qwerty, only shuffling lesser used
> punctuation,) you can switch back to the US keyboard layout.

Do you switch keymaps, or do you use the compose key?  I am using a
standard keymap and I can type stuff like àáâçèéêìíîïòóùúûü plus some
others like ß ø å ö ñ ¿ ¡ Æ · ¹ ² ° ô plus a bunch of others I can't
remember the keystrokes for.

On this keyboard, the compose key is labeled "compose"; it's a sun type
5 keyboard.  However, on PCs I _think_ the compose key is that windows
menu key (not the windows icon, the other one).  OTOH maybe that's the
key I mapped compose to using xkeycaps :-)  In xkeycaps the compose key
has KeySym "Multi_key".

Actually, I just found a file where I recorded some of this stuff.
Here goes:

 here are key combinations that I know of:

 Multi_key, A, A ::= Å
 Multi_key, A, E ::= Æ
 Multi_key, A, ` ::= À
 Multi_key, A, ' ::= Á
 Multi_key, A, ^ ::= Â
 Multi_key, A, " ::= Ä
 Multi_key, A, ~ ::= Ã
 Multi_key, C, , ::= Ç
 Multi_key, D, - ::= Ð
 Multi_key, E, ` ::= È
 Multi_key, E, ' ::= É
 Multi_key, E, ^ ::= Ê
 Multi_key, E, " ::= Ë
 Multi_key, I, ` ::= Ì
 Multi_key, I, ' ::= Í
 Multi_key, I, ^ ::= Î
 Multi_key, I, " ::= Ï
 Multi_key, N, ~ ::= Ñ
 Multi_key, O, ` ::= Ò
 Multi_key, O, ' ::= Ó
 Multi_key, O, ^ ::= Ô
 Multi_key, O, " ::= Ö
 Multi_key, O, ~ ::= Õ
 Multi_key, O, / ::= Ø
 Multi_key, U, ` ::= Ù
 Multi_key, U, ' ::= Ú
 Multi_key, U, ^ ::= Û
 Multi_key, U, " ::= Ü
 Multi_key, Y, ' ::= Ý
 Multi_key, a, a ::= å
 Multi_key, a, e ::= æ
 Multi_key, a, ` ::= à
 Multi_key, a, ' ::= á
 Multi_key, a, ^ ::= â
 Multi_key, a, " ::= ä
 Multi_key, a, ~ ::= ã
 Multi_key, a, _ ::= ª
 Multi_key, c, , ::= ç
 Multi_key, c, | ::= ¢
 Multi_key, c, O ::= ©
 Multi_key, d, - ::= ð
 Multi_key, e, ` ::= è
 Multi_key, e, ' ::= é
 Multi_key, e, ^ ::= ê
 Multi_key, e, " ::= ë
 Multi_key, i, ` ::= ì
 Multi_key, i, ' ::= í
 Multi_key, i, ^ ::= î
 Multi_key, i, " ::= ï
 Multi_key, l, - ::= £
 Multi_key, n, ~ ::= ñ
 Multi_key, o, ` ::= ò
 Multi_key, o, ' ::= ó
 Multi_key, o, ^ ::= ô
 Multi_key, o, " ::= ö
 Multi_key, o, ~ ::= õ
 Multi_key, o, / ::= ø
 Multi_key, o, x ::= ¤
 Multi_key, o, _ ::= º
 Multi_key, s, s ::= ß
 Multi_key, u, ` ::= ù
 Multi_key, u, ' ::= ú
 Multi_key, u, ^ ::= û
 Multi_key, u, " ::= ü
 Multi_key, y, ' ::= ý
 Multi_key, y, " ::= ÿ
 Multi_key, y, = ::= ¥
 Multi_key, ?, ? ::= ¿
 Multi_key, |, | ::= ¦
 Multi_key, <, < ::= «
 Multi_key, >, > ::= »
 Multi_key, ., . ::= ·
 Multi_key, ,, , ::= ¸
 Multi_key, :, - ::= ÷
 Multi_key, ", " ::= ¨
 Multi_key, ', ' ::= ´
 Multi_key, -, - ::= ­
 Multi_key, -, , ::= ¬
 Multi_key, +, - ::= ±
 Multi_key, 1, 2 ::= ½
 Multi_key, 1, 4 ::= ¼
 Multi_key, 3, 4 ::= ¾

HTH,

  A young man wrote to Mozart and said:

  Q: "Herr Mozart, I am thinking of writing symphonies. Can you give me any
     suggestions as to how to get started?"