Re: Sarge Release

David Krider wrote:
Russell Shaw wrote:

I started with old woody then learnt to compile and install the 2.4.20
kernel. Then i installed packages from testing whenever i needed something
more up-to-date. I've also been installing a few things from unstable, and
other packages direct from tarballs. It's all easy, and you can make debian
as modern as you like.

I have been searching this list in vain for weeks trying to find someone
who actually 1) knows something about the harder issues and 2) is
willing to share this knowledge. With this one statement, you've
certainly shown yourself to be the former...

Can I ask you a favor? How do you go about installing *just* XFree from
testing? I've read a little about "pinning," but I'm afraid I haven't
gotten my brain around the concept yet. If you could email me the
relevant /etc/apt/* files that you use to setup your desktop system, I
would be forever in your debt. There's just nothing like seeing a real
example.

Hi,
To be able to install stuff from testing and unstable, put in /etc/apt/sources.list:

<choose a mirror for your location>
deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian             stable main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian             testing main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian             unstable main contrib non-free

Put in /etc/apt/apt.conf:

APT::Default-Release "stable";     < you could use testing or unstable >
APT::Cache-Limit 10000000;

Now do: apt-get update
to rebuild the package indexes.

If you use Default-Release=stable, then you can do: apt-get install -t testing <package>
If you use Default-Release=testing, then you don't need the -t option. Likewise for
unstable.

Now, find out what there is in the way of X that needs to be installed:
  apt-cache search xfree86|sort
  apt-cache search xserver|sort

x-window-system - X Window System
xbase-clients - miscellaneous X clients
xfree86-common
xserver-xfree86
xserver-common

You need the X server, and the X client. I can't remember the order, so just try
any or all:

apt-get install x-window-system/testing           < or: -t testing>
apt-get install xbase-clients/testing
apt-get install xfree86-common/testing
apt-get install xserver-xfree86/testing
apt-get install xserver-common/testing

If they have dependencies, you *might* need to then apt-get the dependency.
If you change to: Default-Release "testing", that may not happen.
You can use deselect or aptitude. I've read about pinning, but i didn't
fully understand it. I think you only need it if you want to control the
versions of certain packages when you do a total system upgrade. I've
never bothered. I just install newer packages as i need them.