Re: recommended patches for 2.4.20

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 07:02:23PM +0200, Mohammed Sameer wrote:
> Once upon a time Rob Weir wrote @ Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:51:07 +1000
>
> > On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 03:31:14AM +0200, Mohammed Sameer wrote:
> > > Hi all, I recently compiled kernel 2.4.20 with all those patches
> > > floating around, I was wondering if any of them will be of any
> > > usefulness to me ?  "low latency, preemptible kernel, desktop
> > > optimization, ..........." ?  I'm mainly using my PC for:
> > > programming "C & perl+MySQL (CGI)", mp3s "mpg123 and rarely xmms"
> > > net browsing -> phoenix mail -> fetchmail/procmail/exim/sylpheed
> > >
> > > on a cyrix 190 w 92 MB RAM ;) I'm using pekwm+hpanel+some little
> > > dock apps i've developed!
> > >
> > > Can anyone please give me some suggestions ?
> >
> > Con Kolivas's -ck patchset seems to be popular...just don't use
> > 2.4.20-ck5, it has some serious issues.  -ck4 and -ck6 seem to be
> > OK, though.
> >
> Thanks for replying, No i understand the ck5 was just the one i've
> used a few days before, and found a terrible degradation in the system
> performance "perhaps not the reason" ;)

Heh, I gave it a go to see how bad it was, and it was *horrible*.  I
managed to start up and even get into gnome, but doing anything took
forever.  Logging out was utterly impossible.

> I'll try with ck4 or 6, Many thanks.

They've worked very nicely here.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?